Discussion Forums - Questions about SwapaCD

Topic: "content protected" or DRM cds

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
geomoose (Chris J.)

Subject: "content protected" or DRM cds
Date Posted: 3/21/2010 6:40 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

I just received a cd with all the artwork in excellent condition (Tristan Prettyman's "Twentythree" from Virgin Records 2005), but it isn't recognized by my computer short of running an executable off of the cd which I assume will install a rootkit on my machine.  It's a DRM issue where on the back artwork it displays the FBI anti-piracy warning circa mid 2000s and showing that 3 backup copies can be made.  I can not play the cd through Windows Media Player, the Zune software, or my Creative player.  Does anyone know how to legally play or rip the cd without having to run the PlayCDS.exe from the cd?

icberry (IC B.)

Date Posted: 3/21/2010 10:56 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Ugh, even the existence of such a thing makes my brain hurt.  This sounds VERY much like something to cc the team on.  Hope there aren't many of these around.....!

Azimuth (David H.)

Date Posted: 3/21/2010 11:19 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

2005 was a bad year for that sort of thing.

djtal (Daniel T.)

Date Posted: 3/22/2010 9:39 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Try holding down the (left) shift key while the CD is loading into your computer. Then you should be able to play the songs with the player of choice. That has worked for me on such discs. Oh yes, BTW, disable auto-play on your CD drive.