Discussion Forums - Questions about SwapaCD

Topic: Another "What would you do" question.....

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
92Pony (Wade S.)

Subject: Another "What would you do" question.....
Date Posted: 3/22/2007 8:42 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑
I just recently recieved a CD in the mail from another member. As I anxiously unwrapped the paper wrapper, I was happy to see that I actually got the whole CD - jewel case and all. My excitement quickly turned to dismay as I flipped the CD over to view the 'business' side of it. It looked as if it had been played on a belt sander instead of a CD player! Scratches galore - hardly a square centimeter on the CD that didn't have scratches. Needless to say, it doesn't play worth a hoot in my car. I decided to see how my PC would handle it, and it actually managed to play it, so I made a copy of the CD.
My copy of the original CD actually plays fine in my car - Now;

How would you mark this CD as being recieved?? What's your opinion?

Thanks,

Wade
monkey (Reesa T.)

Date Posted: 3/22/2007 10:22 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑
I would mark it received with problem and then outline the problem exactly as you have here. You had to take the cd and burn it to play in your car, which costs you time and money.

Some scratched cd's will play fine, but it always seems my car player is not fond of scratches, or often creates the scratches! I think it has to do with the way they get sucked into the machine. I have learned to only play burned cd's in my car because I hate to have my good cd's ruined by it.

What if the only player you have is in your car, and you get a cd from this site that does not play in the car? That's a problem cd.....
92Pony (Wade S.)

Date Posted: 3/22/2007 11:14 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑
Reesa, that's my thought. I would never send out a CD in the condition of the one I recieved, but maybe it played okay for the sender (although I can't imagine how). I just don't want to do anything unfair; hence getting some input from fellow swappers.

Thanks,

Wade
ZepFan (J C.)

Date Posted: 3/22/2007 3:39 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑
The posting guidelines say:

CDs must be in "good condition." What is good condition?

1. My CD is not badly scratched, all tracks are fully playable in a CD player.
2. My CD is an original copy.
3. My CD is not an illegal / burned copy.

I'd say that a CD looking like it was played on a sander definitely doesn't meet condition #1, whether or not it played in the sender's CD player. I'd mark it received with a problem.
crazybluegirl (Kristina R.)

Date Posted: 3/22/2007 6:47 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑
I say mark that it was received with a problem because had to go through the trouble of burning a copy and now you can't post it here if you wanted to.
FolkRockFan (Sarah B.)

Date Posted: 3/22/2007 8:27 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑
On a bit of a side note: you can buff out most of the scratches on the original CD. Brasso actually works quite well. Just use a very small amount on a soft cloth (an eyeglass polishing cloth works well) and buff in the direction of the scratch. It'll take a little work, but it's worth it if you'd eventually like to trade the CD.
Classicana (Anna B.)

Date Posted: 3/23/2007 1:51 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑
Even if you go to the trouble that Sarah suggests, I'd mark it received with a problem. Without a problem, you would never have to 'buff out' scratches! As has been mentioned before, if it was a one-time mistake by the sender, no harm done, BUT, if they don't pay any attention to the condition of cd's they list, then only 'problem' feedback will result in a resolution.
FolkRockFan (Sarah B.)

Date Posted: 3/23/2007 2:17 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑
Oh, yeah - I meant to add that I would mark it as "received, but with a problem" no matter what. 'Cause, you know, it WAS received, but with a problem. :)
iamthed (Alex D.)

Date Posted: 3/23/2007 8:52 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑
I received a cd from a member and the shiny side just looked like complete crap. There were deep scratches and after marking it received but damaged by sender I got an message from them saying:

?huh - i had no problem playing the cd at my house. but i didn't listen to the whole thing straight through.?

It wasn't in my cd player longer than 13 seconds before the first skip. As bad as it looked, I had to make sure it skipped before ethically marking it as received damaged.

Of course, there hasn't been another copy posted since then either.
92Pony (Wade S.)

Date Posted: 3/26/2007 9:06 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑
Thanks folks. I did indeed mark it received with a problem, and indicated "damaged by sender". I hated to have to do that, but it was pretty bad, imo.

I actually have some Brasso that I bought after I received my first scratched CD. It helped quite a bit on that CD (and I had already marked it rec'd ok - it was my very first one here - lesson learned). I may try it to see what happens - otherwise, I'll be listening to the burned copy.blank

Wade