Discussion Forums - Questions about SwapaCD

Topic: reasonable deal on new jewel cases at big lots stores

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
bossajake (Patrick J.)

Subject: reasonable deal on new jewel cases at big lots stores
Date Posted: 4/15/2009 11:32 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

hey

just thought i'd mention this for those who might be searching for nice shiny new and unscuffed clear jewel cases for their recent swapacd acquisitions.

all of the big lots stores in my area have these so i assume all of their stores nationally have them too.

verbatim cd-r (recordable cds) for computer use, they come in packages of 10 and come in full size clear jewel cases.  the discs come in either the metal series or the vinyl series.  the vinyl series look like old 45 rpm records - pretty cool.  just remove the cd-r's and you have brand new and very high quality clear jewel cases.  they are $5 per package of 10 so when you deduct the cost of the cd-r's the jewel cases are actually pretty inexpensive.  i can't emphasize enough the high quality of these particular jewel cases - they are easy to take apart, snap back together securely and are heavy weight grade plastic - nice.

big lots also has their own "off brand" empty jewel cases (called hypermedia) which are a stock item but the quality on these is so poor that they are unusable, if they were free i wouldn't use them - seriously, they are the worse i have ever seen.  the verbatim cd-r's and cases are both excellent quality.

check 'em out :)  patrick   bossajake

sheryl (Sheryl D.)

Date Posted: 4/22/2009 1:49 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Thanks for the tip on these. I bought a few yesterday and they are indeed nice. I've been accumulating so many caseless CDs that I had to start a filing system for them in a cardboard box!

bossajake (Patrick J.)

Date Posted: 4/22/2009 5:01 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

hi sheryl

glad it worked out for someone, .35 per case isn't too bad i think and i like that i don't have to pay a shipping cost.  the cd'rs are kind of cool looking too - i remember 45 rpm records all too well :)

i get some great newly released cds here on the site and it's nice to be able to put them into brand new cases - makes me feel like i just picked up a brand new $15 cd for a few bucks  :)

patrick   bossajake

Daddy-O (Brad S.)

Date Posted: 4/24/2009 10:39 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Good tip, Patrick.  Thank you.  Also, if you don't have a big lots nearby or don't need the CDR's; Wal-Mart sells a 10-pack of full size clear cases by HP for $3.97.  So it's a little bit better deal if you're just after the cases. 

bossajake (Patrick J.)

Date Posted: 4/27/2009 3:36 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

hi brad - i looked at those and they look like good quality ones but i burn a lot of discs so the big lot deal worked a little better for me - and i thought the cdrs that looked like 45 rpm records were unique - just something a little different.  i think the wal-mart ones are a stock item for them so they should always be there - i might try them in the future.

i'm  actually trying to find a source of high quality clear jewel cases for .25 where i don't have to pay a shipping cost or where the shipping cost is built in, if anyone knows of any deal like this please let me know - now or in the future :)

thanks - patrick  bossajake

ape (Wes A.)

Date Posted: 5/8/2009 4:37 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Thrift stores are a source I use for replacement jewel cases. They may not be new, but they usually run about 10 cents each. This is a good way to pick up replacement double disc cases too. If you find one with art for a disc you want, you can also increase your odds of getting a shipment by then changing your request to "disc only".

scotso (Scott C.)

Date Posted: 5/22/2009 7:50 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

hey patrick, find me a place that sells slim double cd cases.  I can't figure out what to do with them!

bossajake (Patrick J.)

Date Posted: 5/22/2009 8:12 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

hi scott,

my local record store sells the standard size jewel with the double tray inside for $1 each (not the chubby double cases which some require to fit the art into).  i think $1 each is too much, .50 seems reasonable to me but i haven't found them at that price yet

there's also a mail order media supplier mentioned in a similar thread i think i started but they were not very helpful when i tried to buy 1000 cases from them so i can't recommend them.  i did get some samples from them though and the quality was fine.

if you want me to pick up some of the slim double cases let me know, maybe i could send them along the next time we swap something, although it seems that i order more from you than the other way round :)

patrick   bossajake