Discussion Forums - Questions about SwapaCD

Topic: How to mark a promo art version?

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
ape (Wes A.)

Subject: How to mark a promo art version?
Date Posted: 2/4/2009 8:05 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Today I received a disc with promo artwork that is much simpler than the retail version's artwork. How does the new Swap policy that allows promos deal with artwork for those like me who request the art?

I don't at all mind cuts in the spine, marks through the barcode, or stamps that indicate a disc was issued for promotional purposes. But, when the art is different than the retail version, such as is common with "white labels" that only give minimal information, I would rather not acquire the title.

tompee (Tompee Z.)

Date Posted: 2/4/2009 9:10 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

i'd say mark it as front art missing or back art missing. the way i understand it is that the promos that are allowed for swapping are those that are exactly the same as the retail version except for a promo marking of some kind, like a gold stamp, cut spine, hole in upc, marker in upc, mark in cd, etc. i agree, i wouldn't request something with minimal art either

djtal (Daniel T.)

Date Posted: 2/6/2009 3:09 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

edited by SwapaCD

Last Edited on: 2/6/09 3:09 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Azimuth (David H.)

Subject: Actually...
Date Posted: 2/6/2009 7:25 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

i'd say mark it as front art missing or back art missing. the way i understand it is that the promos that are allowed for swapping are those that are exactly the same as the retail version except for a promo marking of some kind, like a gold stamp, cut spine, hole in upc, marker in upc, mark in cd, etc.

The policy says no such thing. But it's good etiquette to mention the simple art before sending.

http://www.swapacd.com/help/search.php?terms=promos

Last Edited on: 2/6/09 7:27 PM ET - Total times edited: 2
ape (Wes A.)

Date Posted: 2/13/2009 4:38 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

For the record, I went ahead and marked the disc as "good". I couldn't find anything on the site that would indicate to a shipper that they would not be allowed to send the disc.

Still, I feel this is an issue that should be addressed by SwapaCD. I suspect that many members who want the art will not be pleased to recieve simple promo art. Someone from SwapaCD must be monitoring this thread as djtal said something or other that they felt needed to be censored. Can the censor address this undefined area in Swap's policy or pass this concern on to someone who can address it?

ape (Wes A.)

Date Posted: 5/7/2009 8:17 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Swap seems unconcerned with addressing this potential issue with promo art. Have others been getting discs with only minimal promotional art? If such CDs are common in the Swap pool and Swap will allow them, it will be a deal breaker for me.

SwapaCDTeam (SwapaCD Team A.)
SwapaCD Team

Date Posted: 5/8/2009 12:58 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

We have updated the Help Center item "Promo CDs now swappable!". Please read our new policy about the artwork with promos and post any further questions in this thread. Hopefully this will clear up any confusion.

ape (Wes A.)

Date Posted: 5/8/2009 4:22 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Nice!

Thanks SwapaCD Team!