Discussion Forums - Hard Rock & Metal

Topic: Seeking recomendations for "shred" albums

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
nessus19 (Paul H.)

Subject: Seeking recomendations for "shred" albums
Date Posted: 6/17/2007 12:20 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑
I am looking for recomendations for "shred" albums to collect. (If you are not familar with shred, there's a good chance our dialogue will end here. Alas.) I am not interested in cacophonic, speed metal. Rather, something with finesse, artistic composition, and exploration beyond four or five chords ala...say, Greg Howe, Gamalon, Joe Satriani, Steve Morse, Frank Gambale, Allan Holdsworth (not shred per se, but what's not to love?), etc.
If you have some suggestions, I would be grateful to hear about them.
Thanks!

nessus19
Budgie (Raef N.)

Subject: Shredding in style
Date Posted: 7/11/2007 4:11 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

What about Paul Gilbert, Michael Lee Firkins, Blues Saraceno, Steve Vai, Richie Kotzen, Jeff Scheetz, Andy Timmons, Vinnie Moore, Yngwie Malmsteen, Steve Morse, Neil Zaza, Dweezil Zappa, Gary Hoey, Steve Stevens, Steve Lukather, Nuno Bettencourt (Nuno, Dramagods, Population 1, Mourning Widows), Bumblefoot, Ron Thal, and Mattias Eklundh to name a few?

I hope you will find a few here that you haven't heard before. There are plenty more but these are the ones I have cd's of or want cd's from that I can remember.

If you'd like me to recommend specific albums, I'd be more than glad to.

I hope this was helpful.

alldatndensum (Chris D.)

Date Posted: 7/16/2007 10:08 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Try Jeff Scheetz

Budgie (Raef N.)

Date Posted: 7/16/2007 1:32 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

alldatndensum: I am still hoping to find some Scheetz here. Didn't find it on Lala. Added you to my buddy list.

alldatndensum (Chris D.)

Date Posted: 9/25/2007 9:17 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

You might actually have to break down and buy some.  Try Blastbeats or RadRockers.  Secondspin might have some used copies cheap.  Or, search for Jeff's website.