Discussion Forums - Questions about SwapaCD

Topic: New user coming in from Lala

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
Page:
JoeySkywalker (Joey S.)

Subject: New user coming in from Lala
Date Posted: 12/1/2007 10:14 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

I'm not new to the idea of trading CDs. I've been using Lala for awhile now.

What do I need to know about this site that's different from Lala?

kayote (Kayote B.)

Date Posted: 12/2/2007 11:01 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Hmm...I've not been on lala, so maybe a lala person should respond, but I can guess based on what I've heard on these boards, so you get a reply.  People can add/correct me if I'm off. :)

1) If a CD request comes to you, you need to ship it within a few days.

2) If a CD is on your tower (not on hold) then its available for request.

3) Artwork is not optional if listed/requested.  If you list it as having front artwork, and the person requests front artwork, you need to ship the front artwork.

4) SaCD doesn't provide mailers.  So you are on your own for that--I'd suggest using cardboard from a ceral box as stiffener.

5) Request for CDs go in the order they were posted to the site--not to whoever gets here first.  So if you are the 4th person to list a specfic CD and someone requests it--you will not see the request unless the 3 people in front of you cannot ship for some reason.  If four people request it, then you'll get one of those requests.  FIFO: First In, First Out. The Wish List works similarly but with ranking tossed in which I don't understand so I can't explain it.

Last Edited on: 12/2/07 11:02 AM ET - Total times edited: 2
djtal (Daniel T.)

Date Posted: 12/3/2007 8:36 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

IMO, cardboard from a cereal box doesn't provide stiffness even as well as the cardboard slipcases that lala uses.  Many of us send the disc in a bubble wrap mailer.  Old lala clamshells work good too - just remember to line it with TP. 

kayote (Kayote B.)

Date Posted: 12/4/2007 12:10 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Depends on the ceral box. We have some really stiff boxes.  Others are barely cardboard.

I personally send mine in cardboard sleeves bought specifically for the purpose. But I just won't suggest to someone they should go buy something to mail CDs.

Itchy-Finger (Kyle R.)

Subject: They did it to themselves
Date Posted: 12/4/2007 1:32 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Is it alright just to use lala's shipping gear? haha.

Not really of course. But it is nice to finally being able to get rid of my Paramore cd.

JoeySkywalker (Joey S.)

Date Posted: 12/4/2007 8:42 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

djtal is the first person I reconize from Lala! Sup man?

Eyesore (Kenneth W.)

Date Posted: 12/7/2007 2:30 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Run for the hills, punk!

Daddy-O (Brad S.)

Date Posted: 12/25/2007 6:00 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Joey!  We miss you man!!  No shame in coming back to the LaLa forums and updating us on the latest Relient K happenings........

Robertson (Rob W.)

Date Posted: 12/27/2007 11:31 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

I'm coming in from Lala too. I just signed up and I'm already seeing some familiar names. I'm interested to see how this goes. Thank you Kayote for your response, I'm a little confused as to how this works and that helps out. If anyone else (former/current Lala-ers) have further advice, I'd love to hear it.

Reno-ness (Steve S.)

Subject: Further Advice...
Date Posted: 12/27/2007 3:29 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

The way you pack your sends influences your karma more than anything else. The post office will eat all wimpy packages for lunch and leave your receiver with the crumbs.

Love and peace,

Steve

Kerensky97 (Dustin B.)

Date Posted: 12/27/2007 4:25 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

"If anyone else (former/current Lala-ers) have further advice, I'd love to hear it."

When you add to your wish list have the default settings set to "48 hour offer" or put the CD on hold, then turn CDs on later a few at a time.  After the old lala adage of "add to your want list to increase CD flow" I ended up blowing a ton of credits on typical semi-"flicker" CDs because I'm so used to slow or non-existant trading.

Start slow. fill your CD tower and wish list but put it all on hold and ease into it over a week or two.  The wish list has a bunch of customization features to get your requests in order and you should learn how to use it best before you have all your CDs requested.

E-Lo (Elizabeth L.)

Date Posted: 12/31/2007 7:52 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Just wanted to add another old-time lala voice. I just signed up today and am happy so far!

E. Lo

myrke (Evan M.)

Date Posted: 1/2/2008 7:55 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Nice, an old time Lala reunion.  JS, don't expect a snowfall of discs here, but you might find some good ones if you're patient (and open-minded) enough.  People send some stuff out in great condition here, as far as I've found.

mathman (David S.)

Date Posted: 3/3/2008 10:19 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Reminds me of early Lala.  Many new members implies a steady source of fresh stock.

jibrima (Brian M.)

Date Posted: 3/4/2008 7:00 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

I'm an ex lala'er...  Regarding one of the replies above, there is NO karma on this site...  But DO package your CDs well.  I LOVE this site, so much better than lala.  The selection continues to broaden, and things move a bit slower here, but there are SO many more options...  for the sender and receiver.

I'm sure they have some sort of system in place to weed out problematic traders, but it's refreshing to not hear the word "karma" very often.  I hear it enough when I watch "My Name Is Earl"... A great show, BTW....

And the quality of the CDs I've been receiving have been phenomenal.  Good luck!

Last Edited on: 3/4/08 7:01 AM ET - Total times edited: 1
Jason B.

Date Posted: 10/10/2008 9:40 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

I'm coming over from Lala too- still trying to get the hang of the site. Some thing si find odd- like that I have to clear out my queue of wanted CDs to be able to even READ the discussion board, and I'm a bit worried after adding almost 100 CDs to my want list, and none of them seem to be available, so I'm a bit tentative about sendng out 10+ CDs, not knowing if I'll end up getting any back. But I guess I'll learn as I go along...

-jason

Robyn S.

Date Posted: 10/12/2008 9:20 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑
I?ve never been on Lala so I can?t compare, but my advice to any new user here is to go slow at first. When I first signed up I sent out about 25 CDs in about two weeks and still months later have yet to get the first thing from my wish list. (Although, I have ordered two things that weren?t on my wish list.) So now I?ve got just about everything in my CD Tower on hold until I start getting CDs and things even out. However?Since I?m also a member at Paperback Book Swap, I was able to transfer some of my credits from here to there. I get many, many more books than CDs, so I think it will work out in the end.
Reno-ness (Steve S.)

Subject: Be Smart
Date Posted: 10/12/2008 2:22 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

This is how I would play it, if I were new:

Start with your tower... Post stuff until you get tghe message that someone wants one of yours. Post no more, until...

Add stuff to your wish list... This is a great way of finding out how unique those wishes are... Add as many as you want, and organize it so that the ones you really want are on your first page...

If your wish list yields no results, then hit the CDs posted today search, and find something you like that's available...

Peace and Love, Reno

Last Edited on: 12/10/08 4:19 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
Jason B.

Date Posted: 10/12/2008 6:29 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

that's probably good advice. Maybe I didn't read much, or carefully, because I didn't really understand that was how SACD worked.

I guess I'll just go slowly, see how things go.

And there's really nothing wrong with displaying your entire collection, like Lala lets you do. There are plenty of CDs that I requested simply because they were in the collection of someone whose musical tastes were similar to mine...

-jason

mattafett (Matt F.)

Subject: RE: Noobs, Be Smart
Date Posted: 10/13/2008 9:10 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑
This isn't exactly the case. You can do exactly what JR does over at LaLa here (use the site for inventory/cataloging purposes). When you "post" the disc, simply put it on hold, rather than set it up for trade. Then as you ship, you can switch those on hold to trade status. It's easy. And Steve, you shouldn't call out other traders who can't defend themselves, its rude. JR is a stand up trader, based on my extensive experience at LaLa. Thanks, Matt
Reno-ness (Steve S.)

Subject: Based on my experience...
Date Posted: 10/14/2008 4:27 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Love and Peace,

Reno

Last Edited on: 12/10/08 4:18 PM ET - Total times edited: 3
mattafett (Matt F.)

Date Posted: 10/16/2008 1:27 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

PRIVATE must mean something else I guess.

Azimuth (David H.)

Subject: In High Dudgeon
Date Posted: 10/18/2008 9:41 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

I'm in high dudgeon that Reno-ness posted a private message from mattafett. I'm going to PM Reno-ness to tell him what I *really* think!

Er... maybe I won't.

Last Edited on: 10/18/08 9:43 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
funeralparty (Michael F.)

Subject: Lala too...
Date Posted: 12/10/2008 1:41 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

lala member coming over too. Hi all!

geomoose (Chris J.)

Subject: stumbling in
Date Posted: 1/8/2009 8:14 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

I'm a bit late to the party, but I'm coming in from la-la as well, and really appreciate all the good info presented in this thread.

Many thanks in getting me pointed in the right direction.

Page: