Discussion Forums - Questions about SwapaCD

Topic: Best and cheapest way to send CD's on this site.

Club rule - Please, if you cannot be courteous and respectful, do not post in this forum.
SDchargerFan (Richard W.)

Subject: Best and cheapest way to send CD's on this site.
Date Posted: 7/9/2024 3:30 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Hi, my name is Rick and I am relatively new to this site.  I recently mailed several CD's a couple of days ago and on avg the cost was roughly $5.00 per CD. The postal worked said it was not media since it was not a book on tape/CD.  I also wrapped the CD and included the jewell case. I wrapped the CD and case in bubble wrap and cardboard for added protection.  

My question for this forum: is it better to simply send the CD and the information jacket which contains the name of artist and songs? 

Any helpful suggestions regarding cost savings is greatly appreciated!  Rick

mpt68 (Wade K.)

Date Posted: 7/9/2024 4:03 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

That postal clerk is clueless. The USPS has never had that qualification for media mail. You need to stop sending jewel cases. That is killing you at the retail desk. Get these on Amazon:

https://tinyurl.com/37tv4423

Then add extra cardboard to make it break-resistant. It needs to be over 2 ounces to really be resistant. Buy your postage through this website and you don't have to bother going to the post office. You're also not out the credit in the event they actually do break it. This is still a first class letter, so media mail-ignorant postal clerks will no longer be an issue.

I pay $2.11 to send a disc using Swap postage. Add .25 cents for the mailer cost, and you're still way ahead.

Last Edited on: 7/9/24 4:08 PM ET - Total times edited: 1
icberry (IC B.)

Date Posted: 7/9/2024 8:29 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Hi Richard,

Long time trader here.  I agree with everything Wade says, and after years and years of doing this, I would just add this thought: basically, SwapaCD makes it clear what they expect traders to do to send (non-digipak) discs.  It's not much (sigh) but it's their official business model, and they are willing to stand behind it by refunding credits when a disc is damaged in transit, as long as it was sent -- at LEAST -- according to the ultra-simple guidelines.

Not saying I think that's the perfect way to send CDs, but it is all that is required of us, so I find it's easier to think about it that way when I decide to do more than that to protect my outgoing discs for fellow-traders, which of course many traders do, and bless 'em for that. (At the least, I like to slide in a junk disc as "extra support", which seems to help a bit without a lot of extra thickness.)

That said, the wild card here is those darned digipaks.

The Help documentation says:

"If your CD is in a Digipak (cardboard style case with plastic tray(s) attached to the inside to hold the disc(s), please DO NOT remove the plastic trays before sending out the CD. Either send it out all in one piece, or post it as 'Disc Only' and only send the disc by itself."

I dunno.  I can't bring myself to throw away a nice all-art case, booklet, etc (to do the "disc only" thing),  so my take is to go ahead and send it Media and absorb the extra cost, because someone else is probably going to be doing that for me some day.  Imperfect solution, and nobody has to agree, but there it is.

Happy trades, Richard,

ICB

Last Edited on: 7/9/24 8:31 PM ET - Total times edited: 2
TracyB (Tracy B.)

Date Posted: 7/10/2024 9:16 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

Yep - what the others said above. I use CD mailers (small cardboard envelopes) with 2-3 stamps depending on weight.  Whatever you choose, make sure your package is not too thick (1/4") or it will be considered a parcel not a letter.  Cardboard is no match for the sorting machine which "steers" or bends letters toward the right slot.  I think the mailers are more recognizable as something that shouldn't be bent.   Happy Trading!

SDchargerFan (Richard W.)

Subject: Thank you!!!!
Date Posted: 7/10/2024 11:17 AM ET
Back to the Top ↑

WOW!  Awesome information to help me reduce my cost sending CD's!  I've already purchased the 6x6 rigid mailers (thick & sturdy) and some CD plastic sleeves opn Amazon.  I can clearly see now that pulling out the CD info (artist and song info) and getting rid of the plastic CD jewel holder is by far the cheapest way to go. 

A BIG thank you to Wade K, IC B, and Tracy B for all of your positive comments regarding reducing cost for mailing CDs!   

Have a great day listening to music and swaping CDs! 

Richard White  

mpt68 (Wade K.)

Date Posted: 7/10/2024 4:10 PM ET
Back to the Top ↑

No problem at all, Richard. Best of luck!

Great idea from ICB about using junk/unwanted discs for protection. Makes me regret the many I've tossed in the bin!